Tuesday, June 26, 2012

The Homeschool Choice

We decided early on that we would homeschool the boys. Right now, they are just-turned three and almost two and are currently driving me up the wall. I'm sticking with the decision, even though they are currently such a handful.

When I was growing up, I did well in public school academically, but not socially. In the eighth grade, I started falling behind academically and doing much better socially. Most of what I remember about high school has absolutely nothing to do with what my teachers were trying to teach.

I'm not knocking teachers at all. It's a tough job and those who take it on should be respected and admired. But the educational system doesn't allow for every child's academic needs to be met. There's a schedule to keep.

So, right now I'm reading about teaching my boys at home. There are so many choices and decisions to be made that I'm glad I've started my research early. A couple of books I'm finding rather helpful are:

"The Homeschooling Handbook" by Mary Griffith

"Home Learning Year by Year: How to Design a Homeschool Curriculum from Preschool Through High School" By Rebecca Rupp

That's all I've got for today. Meanwhile, here's a link to a great Bizarro book for Kindle by John Smallberries (aka Josh Myers):

"Octopope!" By John Smallberries

No comments:

Post a Comment