Sunday, June 17, 2012

Floridian Author Extraordinaire

I've been on a Carl Hiaasen kick lately. If you're not familiar with Hiaasen, he's a novelist out of Florida who also writes a column for the Miami Herald. I introduced myself to Hiaasen's work in the late 90's by reading his novels "Double Whammy," "Lucky You," and "Striptease" (the book that the movie of the same name starring Demi Moore is based on).

Hiaasen's books are set in Florida and are filled with environmentalism, corrupt politicians, wacky characters, bizarre crimes and darkly hilarious humor.

In the past few weeks, I've immersed myself in his novels. I powered through "Tourist Season," "Skinny Dip," "Stormy Weather," "Skin Tight," "Double Whammy" (again) and "Nature Girl." Currently, I'm reading "Sick Puppy." I dig this dude's work.

Here's a link to his bibliography on Amazon:
Carl Hiaasen on Amazon

His books are available on Kindle, but if you're looking for hard copy, I suggest you try your local library or local, independent bookstore.

That's it for today. Meanwhile, here's a pic of my cat flashing you.


4 comments:

  1. I keep passing by Hiaasen on the library shelves in favor of something else (so many books so little etc) but thanks for the recommend...I'll give him a shot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just read Double Whammy last week. I've read lots of his books, although not in any kind of order and always am amused, horrified, and engaged in equal parts.
    -Mary Anne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. After reading almost all of his novels, I wish that I had read them in order since he has many recurring characters.

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete