Friday, June 22, 2012

Having Kids "Late" in Life

Today I took my boys out in the double stroller to hit some yard sales. At one sale I picked up some kids' DVDs and a nifty Fisher Price airplane. I said to my guys, jokingly, "We'll be taking this stuff home and your daddy's not going to be too happy!." The woman having the sale said "Well, that's what grandmas are for." I just smiled and said "I'm their mother." She became super apologetic and I just smiled and strolled the boys away.

Last year, the "grandma" assumption really irked me. I mean, REALLY? It's like asking a woman with a large belly when the baby is due. Not always a smart assumption to make. I'm used to the granny comments now and they don't irk me anymore since they people saying them aren't intentionally being rude.

I'm glad I had my kids "later" in life, although I don't really consider just-past-mid-thirties to be that old. Sure, I'm not as spry as I used to be and my energy level isn't always the best, but I have more patience and life experience to make up for it. If I'd had kids in my early twenties, I'd have fucked them, and myself, up royally for sure.

Now, I'm content to focus on THEM instead of myself. I've sown my wild oats, so to speak, and am content to settle down and enjoy my children. That's not to say that I don't have dreams of my own. I'm saying that I'm ready to include my family in my endeavors to achieve them.

That's it 'til next time. Meanwhile, here's a pic of my friend Josh wearing a pink, sparkly, beanie hat that I crocheted for him.


No comments:

Post a Comment